Come, Read the Bible with Me!

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Rocky vs. Li Quan

(Sometimes I'll read a portion of Scripture as if I had never read it before.)

I felt like Rocky this morning when I arrived at Planned Parenthood. I was wrong. It is not our fight. It is the Lord's. Some trust in chariots, arrows, horses, presidents, judges, signs, and numbers...but we trust in the name of the Lord our God. (Ps. 20:7)

There was a young woman on the other side of the street with a two-sided sign. On one side it said, "Abortion is a woman's right!" On the other side was written, "KEEP IT LEGAL!"

She made the hour interesting. She made me think. It occured to me that there is fear that killing unborn children may become illegal. Outside of the intervention of God, I don't see it happening. We are afterall, wise in our own eyes. We, the people of the United States of America are in agreement that we are right, and have our rights! We, afterall by our mouths lay claim to heaven itself and by our tongues take possesion of the earth. We also say, "[Huh!] How can God know? Does the Most High have knowledge?" (Ps. 73:9&11)

It also occured to me that God is not afraid, "the Lord laughs at the wicked, for He knows their day is coming." (Ps. 37:13) Knowing God, we are instructed also not to be afraid. "Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret-it leads only to evil." (v.8)

So what do I do with this woman? I watched her, and prayed for her; and our nation and the protesters, and the doctor and staff and the beeping passers-by. Every now and then she made eye contact with me across the street. What is she thinking? What is her reasoning? Is she beyond reasoning?

I am not afraid of her. I do not know her and don't care what she thinks of me. I do have the fear of man, so I am not speaking lightly about this. It is a real issue with me. Every now and then she would reach down and take a drink from a Starbucks cup. I wondered how she likes her coffee. What an odd thing to wonder at a time like this, I thought.

Before I left, I waved at her and hollered, "See you next week!" She hollered back, "See YOU next week."

Besides the fear of man, I also fear Starbucks. Starbucks was featured in "You've Got Mail" as a place where you can make 7 different choices to get one beverage for an incredible amount of money. Starbucks features about three of my top ten fears.

So I wondered: I wonder how she likes her coffee? (Colossians 3:1-15/focus: vs.12-14)

No comments: