Come, Read the Bible with Me!

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

What's It All About, Alfie?

Galations 6:8-10
8 The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. 9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. 10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.


I struggle with my motivation in almost everything I do. The Bible says, "10 Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. 11 If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen. 12 Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you." (I Peter 4:10-12) And also, " 31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." (I Corinthians 10:31)

11 Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. 12 Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us. 13 Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority, 14 or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. 15 For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men. (I Peter 2:11 - 15)


Sword Drill: Where does it say that it is He who enables us to will and to do His good pleasure (mixing quotes?) Where do we get the idea that He burdens our hearts and then enables us to accomplish those things that He has called us unto?

So, if I go to Lady Starbucks with a cup of coffee, is it for my own self image? Will I be puffing myself up?

On the other hand, if I don't, is it because I don't want to appear to be a fool, not knowing what her reaction would be? Is it so that I won't appear to be puffing myuself up? Is it because I have no idea what I would say to her, and I do not trust God to give me words (Matthew 10:18 - 20)?

10 And he said to me, "Son of man, listen carefully and take to heart all the words I speak to you. 11 Go now to your countrymen in exile and speak to them. Say to them, 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says,' whether they listen or fail to listen." (Ezekiel 3:10&11)


Look to Nehemiah. Again and again this man of God was able to keep his focus and restore the focus of the remnant of Israel to where it belongs: not on the "feeble Jews" or on the rubble with which they would rebuild the walls; not on the danger from their enemies or the reproach of their tormenters. The focus is God, His will and His glory. It always has been, and should be now.

I want to keep the focus where it should be. I want to want to take the lowest place for Him, trusting Him to be my good.

(Reminds me of Jesus speaking to the Samaritan woman at the well.--I want to love like that!)

No comments: