Come, Read the Bible with Me!

Friday, December 30, 2005

Sword Drill!

Does anyone know what a sword drill is? I have done them several times, and no one jumps in with the answer!

Here is an example from my November post on Job 1&2:

"Sword Drill!
Who said that even if the crops fail and (yada yada yada) yet will I praise Him!(?)"

A month and a half later, I stumble upon the answer on another blog (linked in the title of this post). See especially her post on Contentment from December 7, 2005.

Answer:

Habakkuk 3: 17-19 Though the fig tree should not blossom And there be no fruit on the vines, Though the yield of the olive should fail And the fields produce no food, Though the flock should be cut off from the fold And there be no cattle in the stalls,
Yet I will exult in the LORD, I will rejoice in the God of my salvation.
The Lord GOD is my strength, And He has made my feet like hinds' feet, And makes me walk on my high places.


No wonder you all didn't recognize it! Thanks, Anne!

I love this verse. I was thinking it was at the end of Job, but I didn't find it there. I searched key words like crops and praise, to no avail. Who would have thought to look for olives and figs and exalt?

So often I am content when things are going my way, when I feel like I have blessing flowing from heaven. My kids are acting right and the pay checks are steady and the bills are paid. What if all that were cut off? Then would I exalt in the Lord, the God of my salvation? Would I, like Job, accept evil from the Hand of God along with the good?

Oh, God, create in me a clean heart that I would find joy in your blessings now, and consider the trials of this life nothing compared to the glory to come. I love you.
In The Name of Jesus I pray, Amen.

1 comment:

Rachel Pierson said...

"If you had made up a religion, what would you have done differently?"

This was a discussion I had with my kids once. Not wanting to dishonor God, it is a difficult question to answer. I would have been able to take my kids with me. I would have been able to take other loved ones with me. I would have been able to discuss with God who could and could not come into the kingdom. I would not have allowed disception.

I was listening to Crown on the way to work the other day. They were saying how God will provide and that God wants you to get out of debt. I thought about that concept and my mind did a flip-flop kind of thing. You know that truth is so close to error. This truth that is found in scripture that God provides all that we need and that He will provide the desires of our hearts is so easily twisted into a make it and take it (I mean name it and claim it) religion. I thought for a moment that I would not have made God seem like one who is watching out for our every need as much as one who helps those who help themselves.

I am so glad that God is God and I am not.