Come, Read the Bible with Me!

Thursday, February 23, 2006

ALL OTHER GROUND IS SINKING SAND

indefatigable: what a cool word!

9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. 10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Galations 6:9&10)


Thursday: 9:00 am when I arrived, Carole was having a verbal altercation at the back of the parking lot with a woman who said she was a nurse and who thought that there were too many crack babies in such and such a place already and that we were wasting our time and that we should go and hold those crack babies, istead of trying to upset people.
*The shifting of the issue: From the innocent children being killed today to those in misery with no one to care for them, with the implication that they should have died.
*Another issue shifted: By ending this pregnancy this baby will not suffer like the crack babies in such and such a place who have no one to hold them. (Could these babies be in Bloomington? It is odd how my mind automatically took them to Indianapolis.)

REAL ISSUE: This is a child which was created by God, and he or she bears God's image.
This child should not die because of the wrongs done by someone else.
The sin of substance abuse or illicit sex is not justified or nullified by the shedding of this blood, but only by the shedding of truly innocent blood, and that was finished by our Lord Jesus Christ.

She also thought that we should not distress the women who are making an already difficult decision, thereby making it even more difficult.

*The shifted sin issue: The issue here is trickier, because they don't see things like we do. We would say that sin will grow and fester if not exposed. That it is painful to see that what you are doing as wrong. That is what they see as undesirable, they do not want to see that what they are doing as wrong. They want people to say, "It's alright. Peace, peace."
*The shifted issue of "difficult is bad" and "easy is good." It is more difficult to get up and clean my house; it is easy not to. It is more difficult to discipline my children than to let them be. It is more difficult for my children to do their homework than to watch TV. It would easier to separate from my husband than to learn submission. It would be easier for my husband to separate from me than to sacrifice himself up for me.
Difficult and easy cannot be synonyms of right and wrong.

THE REAL ISSUE: Wrong is wrong, and you should feel bad about doing it. Do not quench the Holy Spirit, whose job it is to convict the world of sin.

She also thought that we should not judge. Doesn't this one always shut you up? Of course, we are sinners! I am so depraved! How can I say to someone else, here let me help you with that speck in your eye, when I just knocked them over with this huge log sticking out of my eye?!

*Shifted issue: You hypocrite! How can you know what I am going through? How can you say that, when you know what you did back then, what you did yesterday...what you are doing now... You're so selfish that you want me to bear this burden and you'll go home to your nice neat little life!

THE REAL ISSUE: God has said this is wrong. I am a sinner, and Christ has died for my sin. Won't you take refuge in the Lord with me? Won't you seek Him while He may be found? Won't you kiss the Son lest He become angry? Christ loves me, won't you let me help you with that?



WHAT IS YOUR ISSUE?
You would rather stay home and pray on Thursday mornings. You would rather volunteer at the Crisis Pregnancy Center. You would rather not go because you are too timid, too peaceable, too busy, too nice. Your neighbor or boss might see you there and think you are one of those crazies after all.

*Has the issue been shifted for you? Search your heart. Is the Lord calling you to the CPC, and are you faithfully serving Him there? Is this the easier path? Are you afraid of being a fool? Look at Moses. He said he did not want to go to the Pharoah, because he was a poor public speaker, but God provided. Jesus told his disciples that the Holy Spirit would give them words when they had to go before kings and rulers. Make certain of your motives.

I speak for myself here:

I was too timid. I am not the type to carry a sign and shout slogans. I was certain that it was not my place to tell other people what their morality ought to look like.

After all, God is in control, right?

I am afraid of fire!

Many times I could quit, because I feel ill equipped or unable; I feel like a fool; what I am doing is not making an impact; I look like a fool; I am alone and pitiful.

I am not a big talker outside of my own garden, but the Lord is there with me; I am NOT alone. I am willing and I pray for His words when He would have me speak. It might be that I will never see the result of my presence there
...but I see now the result of my being there. Very slowly, I am becoming more bold. Little by little, I am being shown my own sin and He cleanses me. Very slowly, my heart is being turned to the things of God, and He is shifting my priorities in ways that I previously would not expose to Him in any other place.

Very slowly I burn...

What was Nehemiah's passion? It was for the glory of the Lord. It was that the nations were defiling God's name because of the reproach of the wrecked walls of Jerusalem...His issue was the Glory of the Lord.

What is happening at Planned Parenthood? People are calling evil good and good evil. That's what God said they would do! People are defiling the Word of God. They are sinning against God.

What was Ezekiel told to do? Tell them, whether they listen or fail to listen.
Tell them!

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water! Works will not save you. You don't get extra credit for picketing at Planned Parenthood. However, Scripture does tell us that we were saved unto good works which the Father has prepared for us. How do you know that, like Esther, you were not brought to Bloomington for just this purpose?

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms (Eph.6:12). Therefore, in a sense, the women getting abortions are not the enemy. They are given over to their lusts and pride and greed.
Some there on Thursday mornings are enslaved to superstitions and false teaching.
Some, who drive by, are oblivious to what goes on there...or do they walk on by on the other side (Luke 10:31&32)?

It is powers within and without that are the enemy, and you and I carry them about with us.

Hear the Word of the Lord:

9 Unless the LORD Almighty
had left us some survivors,
we would have become like Sodom,
we would have been like Gomorrah.

10 Hear the word of the LORD,
you rulers of Sodom;
listen to the law of our God,
you people of Gomorrah!

11 "The multitude of your sacrifices—
what are they to me?" says the LORD.
"I have more than enough of burnt offerings,
of rams and the fat of fattened animals;
I have no pleasure
in the blood of bulls and lambs and goats.

12 When you come to appear before me,
who has asked this of you,
this trampling of my courts?

13 Stop bringing meaningless offerings!
Your incense is detestable to me.
New Moons, Sabbaths and convocations—
I cannot bear your evil assemblies.

14 Your New Moon festivals and your appointed feasts
my soul hates.
They have become a burden to me;
I am weary of bearing them.

15 When you spread out your hands in prayer,
I will hide my eyes from you;
even if you offer many prayers,
I will not listen.
Your hands are full of blood;

16 wash and make yourselves clean.
Take your evil deeds
out of my sight!
Stop doing wrong,

17 learn to do right!
Seek justice,
encourage the oppressed. [a]
Defend the cause of the fatherless,
plead the case of the widow.

18 "Come now, let us reason together,"
says the LORD.
"Though your sins are like scarlet,
they shall be as white as snow;
though they are red as crimson,
they shall be like wool.

19 If you are willing and obedient,
you will eat the best from the land;

20 but if you resist and rebel,
you will be devoured by the sword."
For the mouth of the LORD has spoken.

ISAIAH 1:9-20

1 comment:

Rachel Pierson said...

I do not want this cause to become an idol. It is God's word that we proclaim in it's marvelous fullness on Thursday mornings. Ours is not the gospel of pro-life, but the gospel of Jesus Christ.

God has also called us to make disciples of all nations. Go, seek the lost. Tell them about Christ. Find them where you work, where you go to school, where you go to church. Find them on College Avenue on Thursday mornings.

Yes, God is sovereign in salvation, and He has chosen to use you to accomplish His good will.

I hope to be
together with you in His service
&
subject to His word,

Rachel