Come, Read the Bible with Me!

Friday, February 24, 2006

At-The-Well Conversations

Go The Church of the Good Shepherd and click on "Walk by the Spirit III" (February 19, 2006). Keep in mind that we are talking about conversations, sowing the seed, shining your light, setting yourself on fire.

Now go here and see a post entitled "Finishing our Conversation." Mrs. Pickett also had a very interesting post along these same lines that will really make you think about stepping out of the comfortable.

Whoa!! I am not trying here to make excuses, or to get out of something that is clearly my responsibility and is commanded. I am pleading for tips, advice, encouragement, a match... There are various settings and purposes for conversation... There are also different players in a conversation...

small talk
Casual or trivial conversation, chitchat, as in We stood around making small talk until the guest of honor arrived. The small in this expression alludes to unimportant subjects of conversation, as opposed to serious or weighty ones. [Mid-1700s]
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer.


BIG TALK
No entry was found in the dictionary. Would you like to search the Web for BIG talk?


Sorry to agree with the counter point, but, you know Jesus was Jesus. He was probably a little surreal from the beginning. At twelve he was hanging out with the teachers of the law, and by the time He got to the well, well...!

My problem is that I have this pattern of behaviour. If I break out of that pattern, who knows what might happen! I don't even know how to bring up BIG talk in casual conversation. It never comes up. No one ever says, "So Rachel, what do you base your eternal hope on..." or, "Who are you to ask me for a glass of water?"

How do you bring this up in casual conversation? It would be one thing if everyone knew I was crazy, and expected me to talk about sin and mercy all the time, but I don't, so to suddenly start w-w-would be to catch on fire...

Got a match?

No comments: