Come, Read the Bible with Me!

Friday, May 25, 2007

By Appointment

I was listening to Alistair Begg this morning on my way to work. He told a story about when he was a young preacher and he was assigned to preach three messages to a group of missionaries. He decided to preach on II Peter, and cover one chapter per message. He was young and was speaking before missionaries. He felt intimidated and was bungling it; deferring to the group and saying things like, "What Peter was trying to say..."

An older gentleman was in the front row intently watching him. When it was over, he took Alistair aside, and told him that Peter wasn't trying to say anything, he did say it. Also, Allistair was not there by accident, he was there by appointment.

I can't tell you what a striking message this was to me. It brought me to tears of relief, joy, humility, shame, and sheer realization!

I am appointed to speak to my brother about Jesus.
I must trust the message and the appointment.

I am appointed to talk to my daughters about Jesus.
I must trust the message and the appointment.

I am appointed to talk to my co-workers about Jesus.
I must trust the message and the appointment.

I am appointed to talk to people at Planned Parenthood about Jesus.
I must trust the message and the appointment.

This means not skirting the issue, but tackling things head-on. Not hem-hawing about what God is trying to convey, only exposing my weakness as my own, and exposing God's power for what it is. It means that I can be compassionate with others, because God was compassionate with me. It means that I can empathize with others while fearing God, because God brought me through the same waters that they are wallowing in. It means being up-front with people...

naked...

exposed...

standing only on the Rock...

depending only on true Wisdom...


Here I stand; God help me, I can not do otherwise.

No comments: